Prosecutor Confirms: A Child Fatally Shot 7-Year-Old Chance Gilbert


( Cincinnati ) - No criminal charges will be filed against the person who pulled the trigger in the shooting death of a 7-year-old in Mt Airy earlier this month, but the investigation is far from over.

Chance Gilbert was found dead in an apartment on Hawaiian Terrace on May 17. Very few details have been released by investigators until Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac on Wednesday told City Council's Law and Public Safety Committee that "this was not a street crime. This was a tragedy that involved juveniles." He opted to not share much more than that.

In a subsequent news conference Wednesday, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters commented on Chance Gilbert's death. Deters confirmed that a 9-year-old shot Chance. "He was shot by another child in the house with a gun that was left there by an adult, we believe," Deters told reporters. The identity of that adult is unknown.

Deters says there are people who know what happened who are covering for each other, and that it's possible Chance's body was moved after the shooting. He says the only person who's told the truth to investigators, so far, is that 9-year-old boy accused of shooting the gun.

If you can help police, call CrimeStoppers at 513-352-3040 or text CINTIP plus your message to CRIMES.