( Cincinnati ) - "We wanted to do more." That's part of a statement from the CEO of Fifth Third Bank, Greg Carmichael, released on Friday, announcing a major financial pledge for the victims of the downtown mass shooting on September 6, 2018.
The Cincinnati Strong Victims Fund has been created by the Fifth Third Foundation to help those affected by the deadly shooting in the Fifth Third building on Fountain Square. The foundation is giving a million dollars to help the victims, and that's not all.
The bank is asking the community to contribute in a GoFundMe page with a goal of raising $2 million overall.
"What I've found, in every interaction over the last week is that people sincerely want to help," Carmichael said in the statement. He says helping grows connections and comfort, and that strengthens the community.
The fund will be used to help the families of those who were shot along with people who were injured or traumatized by the gun attack. Pruthvi Raj Kandepi, Luis Felipe Calderon, and Richard Newcomer were killed. Brian Sarver and Whitney Austin were both wounded.
Distribution of the donations will be overseen by the National Compassion Fund, a group that provides compensation and more to the victims of shootings and terror attacks.