Man Gets Arm Amputated After Eating Sushi


A South Korean man has to get his arm amputated after eating bad sushi.  The New England Journal of Medicine says the 71-year-old man developed a fever and pain in his left hand just hours after eating the sushi.  The Journal says the unnamed patient went to the hospital two days later with large blisters on his hand.  Doctors diagnosed it as a type of flesh-eating bacteria contracted by eating raw or undercooked seafood, and tried to treat it with antibiotics.  The blisters got worse, however, and started spreading up his arm, and surgeons eventually had to amputate.  The journal says the patient "did well" after the amputation, and was sent home.