Ohio State 34 Navy 17
Aug. 30, 2014
M&T Bank Stadium
What did you think of OSU's performance? Comment below.
BALTIMORE, MD - AUGUST 30: Quarterback J.T. Barrett #16 of the Ohio State Buckeyes rushes for a first down against the Navy Midshipmen during the first half at M&T Bank Stadium on August 30, 2014 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)
Ohio State Postgame Notes
· With the win, Ohio State extends the nation’s longest regular-season win streak to 25 games.
· The Buckeyes improve to 5-0 all-time against Navy.
· Ohio State is 34-2 in its last 36 season openers. Its last defeat was in 1999 to Miami, Fla.
· Redshirt freshman J.T. Barrett made his first career start at quarterback in his first collegiate game. He is only the second freshman (true or redshirt) to start an opener for the Buckeyes since 1950. Barrett finished the game 12-of-15 for 226 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT, hitting six different receivers. He also rushed nine times for 50 yards.
· Senior WR Devin Smith hauled in an 80-yard TD pass in the third quarter, the 19th of his career. He is now averaging 41.7 yards per score in his career. Smith finished the game with 2 catches for 94 yards and 1 TD. The Buckeyes are now 15-0 when he catches a TD.
· Head coach Urban Meyer is now 13-0 in his career in season openers and 48-4 in games played in August/September.
· True freshman kicker Sean Nuernberger kicked his first career FG, a 46-yarder in the first quarter to put Ohio State up 3-0.
· Ohio State failed to score a touchdown in the first half for the first time since the 2011 game at Illinois, snapping a streak of 32 consecutive games.
· Ohio State scored its first TD of the season on a 61-yard fumble return byDarron Lee in the third quarter – Lee’s first career score. The last time Ohio State returned a fumble for a TD was during the 2012 season opener vs. Miami, Ohio – a 1 yard return by Bradley Roby.
· Sophomore safety Tyvis Powell led the Buckeyes on defense with a career-high 13 tackles.
LEXINGTON, KY - AUGUST 30: Patrick Towles #14 of the Kentucky Wildcats throws a pass during the game against the Tennessee- Martin Skyhawks at Commonwealth Stadium on August 30, 2014 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
Team Records and Series Notes
- With the win, Kentucky is 1-0 and with the loss, UT Martin drops to 0-1.
- UK won the first all-time meeting between the two schools.
- UK has now won nine consecutive home lidlifters, dating back to 2006.
- UK is now 84-35-5 all-time in season openers and is 71-15-4 all-time in season openers at home.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, hosting Ohio at 3:30 p.m. at Commonwealth Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPNU and will be broadcast live on the UK Radio Network, with Tom Leach, Jeff Piecoro and Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- UK’s 59-14 win marked its most points scored since hanging 63 on Western Kentucky in 2010.
- UK’s 45-point margin of victory was its most since a 77-17 win over UTEP in 2002.
- Kentucky finished with six rushing touchdowns, its most in a game since vs. Kent State in 2007.
- Kentucky finished with 656 yards of total offense, which was the fourth greatest single-game total in school-history. UK finished with 675 yards of total offense vs. Miami (Ohio) last season for the third-highest total in school history
- UK forced five turnovers; it’s most since 2008 vs. Louisville. UK has forced four turnovers on four occasions since 2008.
- UK had 201 rushing yards out of players that did not play in 2013, marking 86-percent of its rushing output in the game.
- Six of UK’s eight tackles for loss and all three forced fumbles were caused by players who didn’t see game action in 2013.
- UK finished with 21 points off turnovers.
- The Wildcats finished with 422 yards passing, marking its best passing output since throwing for 430 yards in a 2007 game with Tennessee in four overtimes.
- The last time UK threw for over 422 yards in a regulation game was when it threw for 450 yards in a win over Vanderbilt in 2006.
- Sophomore QB Patrick Towles had a sparkling debut in his first career start, going 20-for-29 for 377 yards and one TD.
- Towles also rushed for his first career TD, a career-long 23-yard rush, finishing with three rushes for 30 yards.
- With 407 total yards of offense, Towles had the second-most yards from scrimmage for a UK quarterback making his first career start, just behind the 409 yards Dusty Bonner had in a 1999 game with Louisville.
- Kentucky QBs, since 1996, have a 5-6 record in their first career starts.
- Towles threw for his second career TD, a 29-yard pass to Blake Bone.
- It marked Towles first TD pass since Oct. 6, 2012 vs. Mississippi State.
- Towles is the first UK QB to throw for 300+ yards since Maxwell Smith vs Miami (Ohio) in 2013.
- Junior RB Braylon Heard rushed for a 73-yard touchdown on his first career touch for the Wildcats.
- Sophomore RB Jojo Kemp totaled his fourth career rushing touchdown. Kemp finished with eight rushes for 31 yards and one TD.
- Freshman WR Blake Bone hauled in a 29-yard touchdown on his first collegiate touch.
- Bon finished with two catches for 65 yards.
- Freshman RB Mikel Horton rushed for an 18-yard touchdown on his fourth career carry.
- Horton finished with seven rushes for 46 yards.
- Junior LB Khalid Henderson returned a fumble for 89 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter.
- Freshman CB Kendall Randolph forced a fumble in his collegiate debut.
- Junior RB Josh Clemons rushed it for the first time since 2011 after missing the last two seasons due to injury.